Monday, October 7, 2013

Some Introductions

This also feels like cheating for a post, but I recently looked into some studies from last semester when I worked on a project that involved drawing a few good friends of mine, focusing in particular on unique facial features and expressions.  This is of particular interest to me regarding character design (which has always been my kind of "dream job," like how most kids wanted to be the president or an astronaut.  I know, I'm super cool).  When I draw someone I know particularly well, they start to become like characters in a book or movie to me.  In thinking about my influences and where I'd like to progress from here, I thought I'd make a few introductions.


 Kevin here is one of the most confident people I've ever met, and while I don't consider these drawings themselves to be extremely successful, I do believe there's a lot of him in them somehow.



 Rich here makes some very interesting expressions and has been known to make equally interesting statements seemingly at random.



 And finally, Humphrey looking every bit the mad scientist he is.  And as you can see, I've spent quite a bit of time with his nose.  




These in mind, I'm toying with the idea of swinging to the other end of the spectrum and playing around in my sketchbook for a little while with the idea of creating an identifiable character without any distinguishable facial features at all.  The face has been my focal point in creating a defined character or personality up to this point, so perhaps pushing myself into uncomfortable territory will lead to something.  It sounds like a fun idea, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment