Thursday, October 24, 2013

Loading...

Our senior Art Thesis Prep class decided on a sort of "works in progress" theme for our group gallery show.  It's fitting, since although I can't speak for my [incredibly talented] classmates, I know that I am still very much in the process of figuring out what direction I want my work to go.

I'm most interested in characters and storytelling.  It's a broad subject matter, as I'm discovering more and more.  To work through my interest in this area, I have been working on the type of drawings I've put up in the gallery.  These are graphite on paper drawings based on the movie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  This particular movie is an over the top musical-horror-parody-comedy-scifi-mystery-burlesque-rock n' roll mishmosh with tons of flamboyant movement and theatrical framing-- so of course, it's perfect subject matter for these somewhat chaotic, overlapping drawings.  Best of all, working from this movie brought the kind of lightness I like to maintain in my work; a certain fun, absurd and silly tone I try to be mindful of even in "serious" work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment