Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Artist Statement - Draft Zero

My primary goal in my work is to connect to people through stories.  This sounds vague, I'm sure, but what I'm aiming at specifically is more a certain kind of feeling.  I want to use my characters and narratives to turn people inward towards their own lives; I want to remind them of something-- a person, a place, an event, or an experience or emotion.  In opening up and placing my honest thoughts and perceptions on paper, telling them through familiar people and situations, I hope to invite the viewer to do the same.

Primarily, I work with materials that are clean, easy to read, and familiar, such as graphite, ink and digital drawing.  My use of ink and photoshop in particular evokes the entertainment-industry feel of a lot of my work, which reflects shades of the "geek-culture" elements which inspired my very early practice (comics, cartoons, video games, etc.).  My work is accessible, and I refuse to put up pretenses or speak down to my audience.  While I allow for ambiguity and encourage room for interpretation, I place huge importance on the viewer's ability to take something away from my work, rather than only walking away confused.  A person should not need a fine arts education to appreciate my pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment